The Ekiti State Government on Thursday warned the people of Ise, Orun and Emure Communities to allow for a peaceful resolution of a 76-year old boundary dispute among them.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Deputy Governor, Chief Bisi Egbeyemi, said while holding a meeting with the monarchs, chiefs and leaders of the three towns on the boundary dispute, that the dispute had been on since 1942.
The meeting was prompted by a petition filed by the Orun Community alongside other documents alleging encroachment by Ise and Emure.
The meeting was attended by the Arinjale of Ise, Oba Adetunji Ajayi;
the Elemure of Emure, Oba Emmanuel Adebayo and the Olowuro of Orun,
Oba Aderounmu Adewumi.
Egbeyemi, who expressed surprise that the boundary dispute which
erupted in 1942 during the colonial administration was allowed to
fester for such a long time, stressed that government would not allow
the situation to degenerate any further into needless violence.
Describing the three neighbouring communities as brothers, Egbeyemi
assured that the dispute would be amicably resolved by the Kayode
The deputy governor urged the people of the three communities to allow the state government and the State Boundary Commission to mediate and arrive at acceptable solution within a reasonable length of time.
He said: “Allowing this type of dispute to fester for too long is not
good because we have eminent citizens in the three communities who are
qualified to settle this matter.
“You are too close to be fighting and this may turn your children and
people against themselves and that is what we want to prevent.”
NAN reports that the peace meeting was adjourned to March 5, 2019 for Ise and Emure communities to present their defence and documents on the issues
raised by Orun community.
In a related development, Egbeyemi also promised that the state
government would look into the case of 17 traditional rulers who are protesting against the recent grading carried out by the Ayo Fayose administration.
Presenting their petition before the Deputy Governor, the monarchs who
were led by the Onigogo of Igogo-Ekiti, Oba Sunday Adewumi, alleged
injustice in the last administration’s grading.
Onigogo revealed that the 17 aggrieved Obas were placed in Grade B
during a similar exercise conducted in 1999, saying “it was unjust for
the last administration to upgrade some monarchs with whom they were
on the same grade to Grade A”.
Oba Adewumi said: “We want to appeal to you because your administration has a listening ear and we want to channel our grievances to you for you to note it and you should passionately look into it.”